On the way home Sunday, we decided to stop at Mammoth Cave to break up the trip ( we all needed a little break from Emory asking "are we there yet?"every 2 minutes!!)
I'm really glad we did. We all had a fun time and the girls really enjoyed it.
I did something I always said I would never do!!! We pulled over, had the girls get out of the car and take a picture in front of the sign!
Emory was not really excited at first. "It's dark" ,"there are alligators", "are there bugs?"are a few reasons she gave us. Once we got in, she was okay though. Until one of the rangers told the story about a hunter following a bear and stumbled upon the cave. From then on, she kept thinking she saw the bear and bear skin(?). No matter how many times we explained that was a LONG time ago, she swore there was a bear in there!
We went from 104 degrees outside to 54 degrees in the cave. It felt great! But coming out was miserable- it felt like you couldn't breathe for a few minutes until you got used to the heat again.
They became Junior Rangers- earned a badge and certificate for going in the cave
then the highlight for Christian was going to the Rock Shop. She picked out some really pretty rocks to add to her collection. She honestly could have spent the entire day looking at rocks- even in the 104 heat!
It was perfect stop to break up the trip. They fell asleep before we were back on the highway and slept for the majority of the way home. Even though it took us about 12 hours to get home, I'm glad we stopped! I kinda wish I were more of an 'outside' girl because it would be fun to tour all the national parks, wouldn't it?!








No comments:
Post a Comment